Now, more than ever before, hotels are taking things to the next level thanks to social media. Hotels are realizing that they can make their guest interactions fun and mix things up with unique contests that make their fans more passionate about their properties. The following are some examples of creative contests hotels have done using social media that will hopefully stir up some ideas of your own!
- Hotel Palomar in San Diego recently completed a unique contest that took participants out into the city to explore. Instead of a simple “’Like’ us to win…” contest that we’ve all seen overdone, the Kimpton brand hotel utilized the mobile app “Scavenger Hunt with Friends” where participants submitted photos online as a way of checking off their scavenger hunt finds. Items on the list were designed to get users out and about in San Diego, taking creative photos and performing fun and local activities in order to do so.
- W Hotels encouraged the use of location-based mobile apps by running a campaign that gave users incentive for checking-in to their hotels on Foursquare during the Summer DJ Series. The first person to check into a given event received a free 2-night weekend stay as well as free bottle service. Foursquare Mayors drank free on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The East coast properties also ran a timely video contest where participants had to commemorate the legendary Times Square kiss by reenacting and filming it.
- Casa del Mar in Santa Monica ran a contest called “What’s Under the Sheets?” late 2009 where it posted a photo of 2 giant wrapped items in the hotel’s lobby. Throughout the contest, the hotel released clues about the identity of the items. People submitted their guesses through Twitter and the winner received a fun spa package stay at the property.
- Jet Luxury ran a Twitter contest last year that was designed to encourage conversation on a microblogging site. Participants were entered into a drawing to win a package if they tweeted about their favorite of the brand’s hotels and why they liked it. Instead of a massive retweet or spam message, organic conversations about the hotels took place.
- Le Parc Suites in West Hollywood has recently reached out to the dog-lovers to have them vote on the next “Director of Pet Relations.” Various pooches are on display on a Facebook landing page each with a short bio and cute photo. The winning pooch will be featured throughout the hotel and will receive many perks!