As a business owner, it's important to do everything you can to ensure that your brand is as unique as possible. This process is known as brand differentiation, and it is the cornerstone of any effective marketing strategy. The process of effectively communicating what sets your brand apart from others is by describing your unique selling proposition (USP). Luckily, if you make use of the following tried and true strategies, you can dramatically improve its effectiveness:
- Talk about the most unique features of your product or service on your website.
- Understand the competition by doing effective market research.
- Regularly assess the effectiveness of your company's unique brand differentiation strategies.
- Use social media to reach your target audience.
- Make use of effective imagery to showcase your brand's unique selling points on the web.
- Always ensure that your brand's message is heard by as many potential customers as possible.
Even if the market is extremely saturated, using these techniques effectively can help to ensure that your brand stands out on the web. This could make it easier to attract new customers and boost your company's online reputation. Here are a few of the most effective ways that small business owners can improve their selling proposition or USP:
Describe Your Brand's Most Unique Features
It's important to take a close look at what your competitors offer, and focus on the things that potential customers will only find if they choose your brand. Here are a few examples of features to showcase:
- If you offer a lower price than most or all of your competitors, be sure to place a strong focus on this in your advertisements and product descriptions.
- Always focus on the most tangible ways that customers are likely to benefit from choosing your brand.
- If your products and/or services are generally considered more effective than the competition's, consider featuring videos of product demonstrations on your site.
Create a Unique and Effective Logo for Your Brand
It's important to make sure that your brand's unique logo will catch the eye of potential customers. This can help to ensure that your brand stands out on social media and elsewhere online. These five techniques can allow you to create an effective logo for just about any brand as a small business owner:
- Create a unique slogan, and include it in your brand's logo.
- Use bright colors to catch the eye of potential customers.
- Keep your logo's design clean by using empty space.
- Use a mock-up generator to preview your logo before posting it online.
- Design a logo that's simple, memorable, and timeless.
Furthermore, it's important to ensure that your logo is relevant to what your brand offers. For instance, if you provide office staff room design services, you should consider including imagery of furniture in your logo.
Include Eye-Catching Imagery on Your Website
You should always include some photos that illustrate what your brand can offer customers. Here are a few of the most important things to keep in mind when you're picking out images for your brand's website:
- Pick images that create a call to action.
- If possible, include pictures of customers on your site.
- Typically, it's best to avoid using stock photos.
- Ensure that the photos you choose are directly relevant to your brand.
- Not only do you need to ensure that your site's images showcase how your brand benefits your customers, but it's also important to consider your SEO strategy when you're choosing pictures for your webpage.
Use the Right Social Media Marketing Strategies
Every brand is different when it comes to social media marketing. While some companies will do better on image-centric platforms like Instagram, others should consider focusing on text-oriented social media sites, such as Facebook.
In addition, you'll need to decide whether your brand will primarily on business-to-business (B2B) marketing or business-to-customer (B2C) marketing. That's because companies with a B2B model will need to utilize different social media strategies than ones with a B2C model. A few of the most important features of effective social media marketing strategies for each type of brand are listed below.
- Often somewhat technical
- Posted on fewer platforms
- Often include photos and/or videos
- Typically less than 500 words
- Written for numerous platforms
Regularly Assess Your Brand's User Engagement
In order to ensure that your brand's USP remains effective over time, it's important to regularly assess your company's user engagement on your website and social media. Here are a few key metrics to look at when you're doing these assessments of your marketing strategies:
- Average time spent on your page
- Your bounce rate
- Number of followers on social media platforms
- How far people scroll down on your website
Do market research to better understand your competitors.
In order to effectively differentiate your brand, you'll need to be familiar with the strategies that your competitors are using. That's because it's important to avoid overlap between your USP and the USPs of your competitors. Here are a few tips that can help you do an effective competitor analysis:
- Analyze your competitors' social media marketing strategies.
- Determine which keywords your competitors are using.
- Make sure that you identify all of your competitors.
Optimize Your Search Rankings
If your brand is highly visible online, it will be easier to stand out against the competition. In order to maximize the visibility of your brand, it's important to do everything you can to optimize your search rankings.
That's because your website won't be viewed by very many people if it doesn't rank well on Google and other major search engines. Luckily, if you use these tried and true strategies, you can improve the search rankings of just about any website:
Pay close attention to your site's keyword density
Your website's keyword density should typically be somewhere between one and three percent. This will be enough to optimize your rankings, but you won't need to worry about your site being penalized for overuse of keywords. In addition, it's important to make sure that your keywords are relevant to your brand.
Consider your local search rankings.
Your local rankings are more important than ever in 2022. In fact, 64% of people say that they have used Google My Business to help them find products or services in their area. Furthermore, this figure is likely to increase over the years. In order to optimize your site for local traffic, it's important to include the name of your city, county, or geographical region in some of your keywords.
Optimize your page for both voice and text search.
Voice search is more popular than ever nowadays. This means that it's important to make sure that your keywords are likely to be both typed and spoken aloud by potential customers.
Create an effective meta description.
Your meta description allows potential customers to get a preview of what your site offers, and it will be visible to them while they're scrolling through the search results. So, you should make sure that it's short and highly descriptive. Furthermore, you should always include keywords in it if possible.
Not only are meta descriptions important for your search rankings, but they can also play an integral role in describing your unique selling proposition (USP). Here are a few great ways to create a meta description that plays a role in your brand differentiation strategy:
- Make sure that your meta description effectively describes what your brand offers.
- Keep your meta description under 155 characters. This will ensure that the whole thing shows up on search results pages.
- Include a call to action.
- Make sure that you use an active voice.
- Create a meta description that's designed to optimize your local SEO strategy.
- Ensure that it will give potential customers a good overview of your website's content, and include information that differentiates your brand from the competition.
Gather plenty of high-quality backlinks.
It's important to make sure that you have plenty of backlinks posted on high-traffic websites. Not only will this improve your site's search rankings, but it will also generate traffic in and of itself. This can significantly increase your brand's visibility online.
Make Sure Your Website is Fast and Secure
It's essential to ensure that your site loads properly on both mobile and desktop devices. This means avoiding scripts that are likely to load slowly on smartphones. In addition, it's important to ensure that your site is as secure as possible. The best way to do this is to pick a reputable hosting provider and get an SSL certificate for your website.
Include Links to Internal Pages
Having internal links across your web pages can help to optimize your website's search rankings. Furthermore, describing your Unique Selling Proposition on pages that visitors to your homepage can reach by clicking on internal links will strengthen the overall USP of your product or service.
Ideally, all of the pages on your website should showcase a unique feature of your products or services. This can help you create a strong USP for potential customers.
Give Us a Call Today!
As small business digital marketing experts with more than 20 years of experience, we can optimize your brand presence across the web. Not only will we be able to improve your brand differentiation strategies, but we'll also be able to help you develop an ideal customer service strategy, optimize your social media marketing strategy, improve your search rankings, and much more.
For more tips on how to grow your small business, subscribe to our small business newsletter.